| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Daniel Wing's Homestead

Page history last edited by PBworks 13 years, 3 months ago

 

 (4) Daniel Wing House - purchased from Andrew Hallet in 1640 [see Owl SEP 1905, pp. 422-5]

 

      The Wing Howland house is noteworthy as having the same fenestration as the Wing Fort House, suggesting that one copied the other. The oldest portion of each is the lower right hand side. (Sandwich Archives study of 8 Morse Road)

 

Tradition has it that some portions of the present house on that site are of Daniel’s original home. (Owl SEP 1903, p. 197)

 

In Sandwich, Daniel Wing is always associated with the Heritage area, (which was once thought to be the Andrew Hallett site sold to Daniel in 1640) but town records show that in 1667 this area east of Grove Street was all commons. (Sandwich: A Cape Cod Town, p. 130)

 

Daniel Wing (1640 – 1698)

       In 1640, June 28, Andrew Hallett, being about to remove to Yarmouth, conveyed certain landed property to Daniel Wing, the instrument being witnessed by John Wing and Edward Dillingham. This was, undoubtedly a farm in the immediate neighborhood of the paternal mansion, [about a mile on the road now leading southward from Sandwich to Falmouth.] The house in which he resided was probably not far from the spot which we have supposed to be the residence of his father. {sic, his brother, John} [This is the oldest known deed to property in Sandwich]. (Wing Gen. 1st ed. [1881], p. 33 bracketed items from Wing Gen. 2nd ed. [1888], p. 37; full  deed in Owl, DEC 1914, pp. 1389-90)

 

Jashub Wing (1698 – p1746)

     March 10, 1697-8, by the death of his father, Jashub became possessed of the homestead estate of Daniel Wing, which describes it as "lands, meadows, goods, chattels, sheep houses, barns, fences, etc.," and making provision that Jashub must care for and maintain his mother Anna, as long as she remains a widow of his deceased father…. The late Newell Hoxie states that "Jashub Wing lived on a farm in Sandwich west of the Alms House Farm and that the present house was built in 1737."  At the present time, nothing but an ancient excavation of a cellar remains to mark the spot, now grown up with small timber and bushes. Prof. Henry Newell Hoxie says the house stood near the foot of "Brown Bread Hill," and that it was standing as late as 1887. (Owl JUN 1915, p. 1457)

 

Other sources state the house was (re)built in 1734.  While the quote above inferred that the original home was a separate building from the “present” home, it is more likely that in 1734, the house was greatly expanded from the original homestead.

 

     One of the most interesting of our old houses is this homestead. Standing as it does in a somewhat isolated spot, one fails to appreciate its dignity till we are almost upon it. It is built on a slightly rising ground and commands a fine view of the town from the north side. To the south is an orchard, and around the front door, vines cover the porch and cling to the sides of the house, and the sun shines into its many windows. On every side are the hills that shelter it from the bleak winds. It is an ideal spot for a quiet home.

     This house was built by Joseph Wing in 1734, 4th month, and is now the oldest house standing. Built by the Wings, it is reached by a narrow winding road opened for the convenience of people of the neighborhood, going to and from the Spring Hill meeting house. This homestead is a large two-story structure, and except for additions, made at the west side for the accommodation of two families some years later, it remains the same as when first built. [ed. note: Built over the original homestead] It is grey with time, and has a touch of moss here and there on the roof. It is so plain and unadorned outside that it is a surprise to see the spacious rooms and elegant finish of the interior.

     The dining room is a very long and wide room and above the long fireplace runs a deep mantel of fine moulding and peculiar pattern. The generous size of the room reminds us of the days when the “Friends” held quarterly meetings and all visitors were made welcome and entertained generously. From this room the parlour opens. That there could be such a room in these modern days is like a tale from Arabian Nights. One side of the room is wainscoted from floor to ceiling and the mantel is beautifully carved. All around the remainder of the room is fine paneling, and above, from the ceiling, the moulding is carried down a foot or more and is of very fine workmanship. The space between is hung with a soft tinted paper that brings out the dark rich coloring of the polished oak. All this work was done by hand before the days of machine work, and nothing can compare with it in beauty and finish; the great beam that runs through the ceiling suggests strength and will stand for years to come. Our fore-fathers built for time in those days, and while we may improve in many things, the work of their hands will stand long after the newer things are forgotten. (The Wing-Howland House)

 

Daniel Wing (p1746 – 1771)

     The oldest son of Jashub and Anna Hoxie Wing was Daniel, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Dorothy (Butler) Wing. We find him succeeding his father Jashob and his grandfather, the first Daniel, in the possession of the little much sought for and memorable spot which the grandfather bought of Andrew Hallet in July, 1640, with the additions made by the parents. (Owl SEP 1905, p. 425)

 

     The Hoxie manuscripts say that Daniel “lived at his father’s place and he was a house carpenter.” Jashub, in his will made in 1725, left all of his property, both real and personal, to his three sons, Daniel, Joseph and Samuel, with a provision that they make certain payments to their sister Experience, but as Jashub lived fully fifteen years or more after making this will and married a second wife, the three brothers may not have come into their inheritance until well along in life. According to Newell Hoxie, Jashub Wing “lived on the farm in Sandwich west of the Alms House Farm,” and Mr. Hoxie further states “the present house was built in 1737.” (Owl DEC 1915, pp. 1507-8)

 

Joseph Wing (1771 – 1827)

     Joseph Wing never married, which is true also of his younger sister, Mary. This brother and sister lived together all their days, their years at death being respectively, 85 and 79. As their last days came on, Joseph, who was the older, carefully provided for the comfort and support of this sister, she outliving him only a few years. (Owl SEP 1905, p. 425)

 

Wing Howland (1827-1834) [son of Abigail Wing, a granddaughter of Daniel Wing d. 1771]

     After the death of Joseph and Mary Wing, his remaining property went into the hands of friend Wing Howland, the great-great-grandson of Jashob and Anna (Hoxie) Wing. All those people, step by step, as the descent is made from Daniel the first can be located, as I believe, finally, on the place where Freeman Tobey now lives, on the opposite side of the street from the present Town House Farm, where the spot of ground now is which originally we started to find. (Owl SEP 1905, p. 425)

 

Mary Wing Howland Sherman (1848- c1850)

     According to the Susan F. Hoxie Papers, Mary Wing Howland, daughter of Wing Howland, next lived in the home. She married Levi Winslow Sherman in 1850 and lived with him in Rochester and Brockton, Massachusetts.

 

George Howland (c1850-1852) and Thomas H. Howland (c1850-1864)

     Around this time, George Howland, brother to Wing Howland (above) had come into possession of the homestead.

 

Matthew Howland (1852-1860)

     After the death of George Howland, the homestead apparently went to his son, Matthew.

 

Susan Howland Howland (1860-1864) (Deed 126:123)

     Matthew sold this estate to his mother for $2500 on 2 NOV 1860.

 

Thomas Allen Howland ¼, James and Francis Howland ¼, Elizabeth, Thomas & Daniel Howland ¼, and Mary J. Howland ¼ (Deed 87:204)

     Susan Howland deeded to the children (or their heirs) of her brother-in-law, Thomas H. Howland each a ¼ interest in the property. The deed spoke of Thomas H. Howland having a life interest in the property as well as his daughter, Mary J. Howland, until such time she is married.  Thomas Allen Howland and Mary J. Howland were children of Thomas H. Howland.  James and Francis Howland were the children of Thomas H’s son, Charles Alexander Howland (d. Sandwich 27 AUG 1863) and Elizabeth, Thomas & Daniel Howland were presumably the children of Thomas H’s son, Stephen S. Howland (also presumably then deceased)

   However, Susan also granted to Thomas H. Howland a life interest in the estate and his daughter, Mary Jane Howland, was granted life interest until married.

                                           

Mary Jane Howland Tobey (1864 –1909)

     Mary Jane Howland, daughter of Thomas H. Howland & Sarah Kelley [Thomas was a brother to Wing Howland, so the two Mary Howlands were first cousins] was the next owner of the Wing Howland House.  She married Watson Freeman Tobey 11 JAN 1865. With this marriage, she lost her life interest in the property, but her husband purchased the interest of her brother, Thomas Allen Howland, as well as a nephew, Frank W. Wing in 1884. (Barnstable Deeds: 146:567) Watson also purchased the interest from two of the three children of Stephen S. Howland around 1890. (Barnstable Deeds 157:279)  With these purchases, Watson and Mary Jane owned 19/24ths of the property.  It appears that the other two owners of the property could not be found.

     Mary died 17 FEB 1903 and Watson died 22 MAR 1909. 

  The property eventually ended up in Land Court in 1922, Title No. 8298 as the heirs of some of these parties apparently could not be found.

 

John Crane (1909-1911?)

   While Watson and Mary Jane Tobey had a daughter, Sarah Alice Tobey, she was not competent and had a guardian to manage her estate. The guardian petitioned the probate court to sell the property, which was granted. John Crane purchased this property in AUG 1909 through an auction sale in which he paid $1725

 

Raymond De L. Hasbrouck (1911?-1917)

   John Crane sold the property to Raymond De L. Hasbrouck on 24 APR (year cut off, but recorded 4 MAY 1911)

 

Frederic L. Tudor (1920-1948) (Deed 361:571)

   Raymond De L. Hasbrouck of the U.S. Navy sold the homestead to Frederic L. Tudor of Bourne on 27 APR 1920. At that time Tudor obtained a mortgage in the amount of $1,000 from Fletcher Clark, who was the guardian to Sarah Alice Tobey.

   Shortly after this purchase, the property went through Land Court, Title 8298 in order to fully own the property. After the Land Court cleared the title to the property (so Tudor owned 100% of it) Frederic, through a series of conveyances, placed the property in trust for himself and his family.

     Tudor had additions built onto the homestead, including a greenhouse to the left front of the house and cement cellar walls. In addition, he remodeled some of the property including placing several fish ponds and cedar trees near the driveway. This area also has several flat granite rocks which may have been gravestones of some of the early family members, but could just as easily have been more landscaping created by Tudor. (Sandwich Archives study of 8 Morse Road)

 

William Robidoux Jordon (1948-1949) (Massachusetts Land Court Case 8298-Sup.)

   Frederic Tudor died in 1939. His widow, Amy, spent her summers on the property and winters in Boston, Mass.  The property was still held in trust. Over time, the trustee became Marie T. Garland (sister to Frederic Tudor). The terms of the Trust allowed the trustee to sell the property at their sole discretion, which was done in 1948. Amy filed a motion in land court stating that the property was not to be sold while she was still living. The land court verdict allowed the sale of the property and dismissed Alice’s claim.

 

Town of Sandwich (1949-1951)

   The Town of Sandwich took over possession of one section of the property by Eminent Domain for the purposes of building a playground. The town released the property in 1951.

 

Dr. Sterne Morse and Elizabeth Weber Morse (1951-1976) (Doc. 41,435; No. 16854)

   It appears that during their ownership, the property was broken into 3 sections Elizabeth died in 1976.

 

Dean Morse, Adm. et.al. (1983)

 

Janet Garnier (1984-2006)

  When she purchased the home, it had not been lived in for many years. At the time the land was property was owned by developers. They had wished to tear down the homestead, but the town of Sandwich took them to court and won. The house was seriously run down when purchased. The roof of the building had large holes in it and needed to be replaced.

 

She restored the home and added modern amenities. She put the home on the market in the Spring of 2006.  As of JUN 2007, this house was still up for sale.

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.